The Vice President and General Counsel leads and manages the legal affairs of the organization as well as its risk management, accreditation, regulatory and compliance functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Adds strategic value as a key member of management and an astute executive; demonstrates a keen understanding of hospital patient care, business, financial, industry and strategic issues; pragmatically manages legal risks.
2. Supervises, directs, coaches, trains, develops, and manages department employees to meet hospital goals and expectations.
3. Prepares, manages, and adheres to department budget to maintain expenditure controls.
4. Manages the legal, risk management, accreditation, regulatory and compliance functions of the organization; works in a highly collaborative manner with other executives and departments of the hospital.
5. Serves as the trusted, primary legal advisor to Akron Children’s Hospital and all its affiliates, the Board of Directors, the executive team and the administrative staff; understands strategic initiatives and business needs; provides legal and business counsel on issues which must be taken into account when decisions are made.
6. Retains and manages outside legal counsel; oversees and manages all litigation and other matters handled by outside counsel.
7. Advises the hospital on the litigation and other risks of potential business decisions and provides preventative counsel with respect to the legal risk associated with business practices.
8. Participates in the negotiation, drafting and implementation of a wide variety of agreements, including joint ventures, strategic alliances and physician agreements.
9. Reviews and revises corporate documents and policies and procedures as necessary.
10. Ensures the organization maintains compliance with all regulatory and accreditation requirements; provides oversight of legal issues related to credentialing and professional liability.
11. Conducts in-house training sessions for clinical and other employees regarding relevant legal issues.