NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens, located in Flushing, New York, is a community teaching hospital affiliated with Weill Cornell Medical College that serves Queens and metro New York residents. The 535-bed tertiary care facility provides services in 14 clinical departments and numerous sub-specialties, including 15,000 surgeries and 4,000 infant deliveries each year. With its network of affiliated primary and multi-specialty care physician practices and community-based health centers, the hospital provides approximately 162,000 ambulatory care visits and 124,000 emergency service visits annually.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Risk Manager in our Legal Affairs department who would be responsible for:
- Occurrence Tracking Reporting and Analysis
- Tracks and trends, analyzes and reports occurrences.
- Recommends investigations of potentially compensable events
- Recommends corrective actions, and opportunities for improvement, when appropriate
- Refers appropriate occurrences for quality management review, NYS reporting and root cause analysis.
- Participates in hospital-wide committees as appropriate
- Participates in root cause analyses and Failure Mode and Effect Analyses
- Participates in huddles
- Oversees designated regulatory responsibilities
- Reports details of RCAs to Administrator, Claims Manager in anticipation of litigation
- Education and Programs Development
- Develops and implements policies and procedures that relate to loss control/prevention.
- Recommends appropriate quality control programs
- Provides Risk Management orientation to new employees
- Provides Risk Management orientation to new residents
- Provides education to staff when risk management policies are lacking compliance
- Provides hospital-wide education for new laws that impact on risk management policies such as FHCDA
- Provides departmental orientation, in-service training, and continuing education for all staff
- Recommends environmental resources needed by the Medical Center and /or departments.
- Participates actively in QM initiatives, exchanges information with QM and attends quality counsel
- Audits and Studies
- Audits for compliance with policies and procedures that impact risk exposure to the Medical Center including but not limited to Ob/Gyn, Pathology, ED
- Audits/measures compliance with approved recommendations with impact on risk exposure
- Implements audits and studies in high frequency and/or high severity risk areas
- Audit and peer search for conformance with community standard of care
- Policies and Procedures
- Create policies and Procedures including Occurrence reporting, Sentinel events, Disclosure of adverse events, Safe Medical Devices Act, Visitor Injuries, Medical Decision Making
- Mandatory reporting in accordance with Safe Medical Devices Act
- Discusses NPDB reporting recommendations with Administrator, Claims Manager
- NYS reporting as needed (NYS Med Mal reporting handled by Senior Claims Examiner and Claims Examiner)
- Section 18 Excess Coverage Coordination with Medical Staff Office and Final Approval