The Risk Manager builds a culture of proactive risk identification, patient safety and trust. The Risk Manager identifies deficiencies and monitors and/or leads mitigations and action plans to ensure risks are reduced to known and acceptable levels and are well communicated to senior leadership. The Risk Manager leads the efforts related to risk mitigation and prevention. The Risk Manager serves as subject matter expert for risk related issues and provides effective organizational leadership.
• ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Maximum of ten functions in order of percentage of time spent on functions from longest to shortest; do not list anything that does not represent at least 10% of the job’s time. Please include supervisory responsibilities. 1. Drives the identification, investigation and effective management of all potentially compensable events (patient, visitor, employee, property, construction, automobile, cyber). Monitor occurrences and claims reporting as appropriate. Accountable for organizing and presenting trends/clusters related to safety events. Manages the Occurrence Reporting System and ensures thorough and timely responses to occurrences and for immediate mitigation of threats to safety and other serious issues. Leads root cause analyses, as necessary, and collaborates with Quality to ensure appropriate regulatory reporting of adverse events.
2. Leads the investigation of claims; and manages the development of internal and external defense efforts. Collaborates with legal counsel to drive successful defense strategies for all phase of litigation. The Risk Manager makes recommendations related to the above to senior leadership.
3. Leads work with brokers, insurance carrier, consultants, and appropriate leaders to effectively manage claims, accurately assess losses, understand potential to subrogate losses and mitigate reoccurrences related to adverse events.
4. Risk Management is responsible for managing the entire insurance portfolio for the hospital, Shaw Cancer Center and Clinics as well as the insurance related to any construction projects.
5. Collaborates with medical staff as appropriate (medical malpractice insurance, PCEs, record reviews), and organization improvement committees to facilitate appropriate review and support quality and safe patient care.
6. Collaborates with the Patient Advocate to help develop strategies to address patient concerns as well as determine when/if it is appropriate for the compliant to be transferred to the risk department.
7. Work with leaders to successfully manage the insurance renewal process, identifying gaps.
8. Role models the principals of a Just Culture.
9. Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
3 years clinical experience preferred. 1 year of experience in a clinical record review/analysis preferred.
Certification(s): Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM) preferred
Computer / Typing: Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc. Must have working knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
Education: Bachelor degree required
Internal Number: 8216
About Vail Health
While Vail is recognized world-wide for its year-round recreational activities, Vail Health has over 900 employees and is known for being one of the region's largest employers and a cornerstone of our community.
We are also home to Howard Head Sports Medicine, the official medical provider to the US Ski & Snowboarding Team and USA Climbing. Shaw Cancer Center is the region's only fully accredited cancer treatment center and comprehensive breast center, both are services of Vail Health.
At the base of North America's number one ski mountain, Vail Health has been providing care to the local and surrounding communities since 1965. With internationally known orthopaedic and sports therapy practices, emergency and trauma services in three convenient locations throughout the Valley, highly accredited regional cancer care, a birthing center that performs an average of 600 deliveries/year, elite surgical services and many more general and specific health services, Vail Health employs m